Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seeker

My belief is waning. My view of Christianity as a faith with deep roots and a solid historical foundation is starting to give way to a reality where there is no god...or at least, not the one described in the Bible.

Removed from the societal pressures of being part of a congregation, I've been able to explore different avenues of thought, of history, of science. I've listened to arguments for and against creationism, the validity of the Bible, and difficult questions around believing in a loving God while reading the atrocities he commanded be done.

Who is God? How can I believe in an all loving, all caring, kind and gentle being when the old testament is filled with counter-examples? How can I believe that he has my best interests in mind when until 2000 years ago I'd have no chance of salvation (not being Jewish)?

Who was Jesus? Was he really who we've been led to believe, or is he an enigma...something totally different and simply the target of a 2000 year old marketing campaign?

And what of us as Humans? What are we? If we aren't the firstborn of creation, if we aren't the pinnacle, if we aren't created in God's own image, then what are we? How did we get here? What value and purpose can our life hold if nobody is there to grant it to us?

These are things that I've struggled with and continue to work through. My blog will be taking a turn from previous posts. This is no longer just a Christian commenting on Christianity. This is a human, trying to determine what role faith plays in day to day life.

I hope you enjoy being along for the ride and sharing in the experience.

No comments: