I saw this t-shirt recently (if the link ever dies, its a t-shirt for kids that says "Caution: Unsocialized Homeschooler"), and it got me thinking: what is the POINT of homeschooling?
Homeschooling seems to be a Christian-focussed idea (although I'm not saying that all homeschool situations involve Christianity, everyone I know who does homeschool is a Christian). Proponents of home-schooling will no doubt expound on how much better the quality of education is, the ability to incorporate Christian curriculum, and ... um... what else? What else good can be said about homeschooling?
In my opinion, homeschooling is nothing more than parents wanting to shelter their children from the evils of the world, which in this direct case is the public school system and all its perceived shortcomings. Sure the public school system isn't perfect: you always hear of schools with violence and substance abuse issues, overcroweded classrooms, inept teachers, and curriculum that can be perceived as too lax.
But guess what...I have a secret...ready for it? That's not just school...that's the real world. In the real world, you have violence...and substance abuse...and you have companies that are filled with people who are all vying for the next level, the better grade, and the recognition that comes with it. You have bosses and managers that will be total tools, and possibly unscrupulous. And you'll have to deal with things in the real world that seem utterly stupid (let's talk income tax shall we?).
Homeschooled children may have a better scholarly education, but they miss out on the most important education of all: how to handle life. This isn't just about the social dysfunction associated with home schooling, this is about giving children a relatively safe environment to try and fail before they turn 18 and their failings land them in trouble or worse. This is where they discover who they are, how to make friends, how to overcome adversity, how to overcome idiocy...this is THEIR time to discover who they are and to prepare them for life as adults, even from the early grades.
But what if they get hurt? What if they get exposed to something horrible? What if...what if...
Look, that's part of how God intended our younger years to be! As a child your immune system hasn't been exposed to the various flues and germs in the world, and kids are seemingly always fighting something...but they overcome and they grow stronger and can fight off the nasties. The same goes for us from a social perspective: we need to experience things as early as possible so that we can understand how to deal with them as adults. No I'm not saying that we should wish harm on our children, but I would wish relationships, challenges, obstacles, tests, love, anger, frustration, happiness...I would wish them an experience that will mold them into the adults of tomorrow.
So that t-shirt really shouldn't say "Unsocialized Homeschooler"...it should say "Caution: I won't have a clue how to live in the real world because my parents were too scared of exposing me to their own fears and trepidations"
CC
Friday, December 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment