Friday, December 14, 2007

Why Criticize the Church?

Why Church Critic? Why would I, a follower of Jesus, want to be critical of the key organizational structure of my faith? Isn't it heresy to some lesser degree...or am I throwing stones without acknowledging my own faults and failures first?

Hell no.

The reality is that the church...in fact the Christian faith...in fact, ALL faiths...are made up of imperfect human beings. Our God may be perfect and holy, but the reality is that we are immensly screwed up and destined to forgo common sense and replace it with raging emotion or ineptitude.

The church needs critics. The role of a critic isn't to simply point out failures or hurl insults. That's not a critic, that's an opponent. A critic's role is to raise awareness around failings and issues that are detrimental to an entity...and believe me, our churches need critics. Our churches need to be open to discussing the issues that plague so many, not just in regards to pastors and staff but extending to the people that attend, programs that are run, and doctrine that is accepted.

This blog is my arena to talk about what I see in my own church, which I love, and in the larger church community, which I also care about. I hope to have good discussion here as we look at some tough issues, and hopefully some passionate debate as I'm sure we'll have some hotbutton issues come accross the blogosphere as well.

Church Critic

No comments: